Are you seeking a permanent solution to a damaged smile? Have you considered dental veneers? Dental veneers are a handful of cosmetic options designed to deliver the smile makeover you’ve always wanted. Veneers are a perfect solution for your teeth. Whether you’ve niggling imperfections you want to hide or facing some structural concerns, veneers can deliver that natural-looking and aesthetically pleasing appearance that’s been missing.
When having cosmetic treatment, it’s natural to look for a permanent restoration, which begs the question: are veneers permanent?
Well, to answer that question, let’s take a look at whether this is the case and what factors can lead to a longer shelf-life for veneers.
How Long Do Veneers Typically Last?
There isn’t a set shelf-life for veneers, and no, neither are they permanent. However, with strong oral hygiene and care, fitted veneers can last for 20 years. Although, there is a minimum shelf-life of 7 years as well.
So, why is there a large gap between the minimum and maximum shelf-life? Well, it bows down to how well you look after them to make them last longer. If you have fitted veneers yet you’re still performing bad habits that can impact their shelf-life, then they will only last for their minimum shelf-life.
What Are The Benefits Of Veneers?
If you’re seeking fitted veneers, what are the benefits you can enjoy with them?
- Hides Imperfections – If you’ve niggling chips and cracks that you hate to see in the mirror when smiling, veneers cover them with thin-shaped porcelain shells that are designed to look and feel like natural teeth.
- Custom Made – All veneers are custom-made, which means the dentist will take impressions of your teeth, so the veneers fit the smile that you want.
- Same Shade – If you have teeth whitening treatment before veneers treatment, the dentist will ensure that the shade of your natural teeth matches the fitted veneers, meaning there won’t be any awkwardness when you smile.
- No Special Maintenance – Veneers simply require you to carry a strong oral hygiene routine as you would with your natural teeth.
- Can’t Tell The Difference – Your smile will look natural to the public. You can hardly tell the difference between your natural teeth and traditional veneers.
How Do I Make My Veneers Last?
Now that you know there is an opportunity for the veneers to last for a long time, how can you go about maintaining their maximum shelf life?
- Ensure that you check yourself in with the dentist regularly for a check-up. The dentist can identify any concerns and correct them immediately.
- Brush and floss your teeth as normal with non-abrasive toothpaste. Be gentle and use a soft-bristle toothbrush.
- Wear a mouthguard when you participate in physical contact sports to avoid any impact on your veneers
- Drop any bad habits that you use your teeth for, such as biting down on the ice, biting your fingernails or opening packaging
- Treat any conditions that cause wear-and-tear, such as teeth grinding
So, now that we’ve answered the question are veneers permanent, it is now up to you to ensure that you take the adequate steps necessary to prolong their shelf life.
If you’re seeking fitted veneers to hide any niggling imperfections to your smile and build your smiling confidence, consult your local dentist in Quakers Hill today for a consultation!